Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Losing Weight - Katy, TX

It is about 1:00 in the morning and I can't sleep. Tom and I have been talking about the need to lose weight. Between the two of us we have been carrying around another full adult. Eating for 3? Also, with our health issues we are both at risk for major problems. Ewwww, that was hard to write. So, I decided to do some research. Here is what I found.

Statistics say that more people in the US are obese than in any other country.  Knowing this and having been told for years by my doctor, I decided to look into this a little more. WebMD is a great source for information on all things medical, so I went there first. What I found was not encouraging.
  • Obesity is an excess proportion of total body fat
  • A person is considered obese when his/her weight is 20% or more above normal weight
  • Morbid obesity is when a person is 50-100% over normal weight
  • The body mass index [BMI] is the most common measure of obesity
I did a little  more research and found a BMI Chart:



Wow, I am orange. Just barely, but still at 30.8 with a normal of 18.5-24.9 it is obvious I need to do something about that. I did Tom's also and it told us both to 'Take Action.' Another stupid chart showing Healthy Weight Range told me I needed to lose 44 pounds.

Now I have been the same weight for about 8-10 years. It varies 4-6 pounds, but inevitably when I weight in at the doctor's office it is the same over and over. I have told myself that I needed to get in shape, lose weight, quit smoking, blah, blah, blah for years. I have tried for a day or two then that breakfast at McDonalds or the fried chicken at KFC just called my name. It is hard and time consuming to even think about it. BUT, I have to try again.

Back to the internet. There is a website called MyPyramid.com that helps you discover healthy choices, makes a determination on what food groups and how much you can have, develop menu plans and encourages exercise. The problem is WebMD and MyPyramid differ on the number of calories I can have to lose 2 pounds per week. No one agrees on this. One says 1200 the other says 1600. Which is right? Well, I am going with the 1600. I don't have any idea if it will work anyway. I am going shopping tomorrow to buy healthy foodstuffs [that means rabbit food] and a food scale.  We are going to give it a try. Wish us luck.

Sorry to be on my soapbox, but sometimes I need to write down things I have learned, things I have to do, to get them straight in my mind. You are just the lucky recipient of these nocturnal musings.

For those of you who had to get up and go to work today after the holidays, knowing there is not another holiday until Easter, I feel for you. The first day back after New Years is kind of depressing. But remember, a new year brings new beginnings, new challenges, new accomplishments and new rewards. I pray God will Bless and Keep you.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. You're not alone in thinking it's time to do something on what we eat and losing weight. You have lots of good info. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck to You and Daddy. I know you can do it
    Love you
    Tam

    ReplyDelete