Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dogs and Taxes

The last couple of days have been so hectic We have been boondocking in front of Jennifer's house and trying to get on with our trip to Louisiana.  Naturally we will be delayed again.  I don't know what it is that we are missing, but it seems we never get where we are headed. 

I would like to take a moment to thank God for our motorhome.  I know that the debate rages on what is best: bumper tow trailers, 5ers or motorhomes.  My response to that is there is no one perfect RV.  For some it is the trailer, some the 5er and others a motorhome.  We have had a trailer and a motorhome.  We love the motorhome.  It has given us the ability to just stop anywhere and be comfortable.  It does not matter if we have hookups because of the generator and large fresh water tank.  If we do have hookups, it only takes 15 minutes to be set up.  We have sacrificed some room, we only have one slide out and the front 5 feet is the driving area, but even that is not bad because I love the large windows and the view while driving.  I would be interested in hearing about any of your rigs and why you love it (or not).

Tom has spent days working on our taxes.  It is so different from any other year with retirement income, 401k withdrawls, 2 rental properties, self employment and regular employment as gate guards...  can you spell A-U-D-I-T?  So we have delayed a couple of days to meet with an accountant to review Tom's numbers.  Blech!

While Tom does the taxes I am re-loading the MH.  After living in it for 6 months I now know that I don't need about a 1/4 of the stuff I have 'stuffed' into it.  While here we are packing up things we have not used since we loaded it originally and are putting it into Jennifer's attic, if we think we may ever use, or just plain throwing it away.  I don't know why I was hanging on to so much stuff.  We don't need anything except a few clothes, some cooking stuff, our computers and my sewing machine.  If it is not connected with those four categories, away it goes.  I am telling you, folks, things are becoming less and less important, while memories and moments are becoming more and more important.  God is speaking to us every day about that.  I have decided to listen.

I know you all know that we lost our beloved German Shepherd Dieter last November.  It has been real difficult for Tom and me.  I am the one who needs to have a dog in my life and we have been going back and forth on when to get one, what kind to get, etc.  Well, Dieter came to us through Tony, Master Trainer in Corpus Christi, TX.  So I called him and asked if he had any rescues that he was training and would fit into our RV lifestyle.  I told him we were looking in the 40 pound range as a maximum.  He said instead of one at 40 pounds, how about two at 30 pounds maximum.  He offered two little bundles of energy that were so bonded that they needed to stay together. 


Female pug and Male dachshund, Called Mrs and Mr X.
Well I could not resist so I drove to Corpus from Houston and picked up the dogs.  They are about 1 1/2 - 2 years ole and, so sweet and lovable.  We have been looking for names for them.  The little male we are calling Sonny.  The female pug started out to be Cher but has kind of turned into Uggy.  Not sure how that happened.  Anyway, I will fill you in on the process of integrating two little dogs into a RV household used to having a 100 pound big dog.  It is a real change.

I hope you all are enjoying what to us is a wet weekend.  Happy Traills to you!

4 comments:

  1. We've been living in our rig for eight years, and I'm still cleaning out stuff we don't use. . .where does it all come from? What you say is true. . .the stuff is not important. . .just the memories. . .enjoy your new adventures!

    Janice
    ReadyToGoFullTimeRVing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an SPCA foster mom, all I can say is "Thank you for adopting rescue dogs." I hope you will write about their progress.
      Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

      Delete
    2. It's true, we are 5ers; downsized, sold property, still downsizing, don't need much, several workkamping jobs behind us, heading to Texas/gate work. Cherish the times we can head to Mn to see family. It's "awful" to be away from baby grandchildren..We love the fullt.rving. Our 3rd yr. yes,to memories, thanks for this spot. Have fun with pups..bless U

      Delete
  2. Writing out my check to the IRS today. :/
    The pups are sweet!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete